Here is how to make a full-time income blogging, with a break-down:
- I have 2 million- 3 million page views a month on yourmodernfamily.com
- I have been blogging for about four years.
- This income does not include what I make on my other websites or from teaching other people how to blog, it’s strictly from my parenting site!
- I work from home, with four kids, so my hours a day vary greatly from 1 hour to 8 hours, depending on what kind of day it is (preschool day or home day, sports practice or not, early bedtime or late bedtime).
- My husband works from home, too, on his blog and mine, so he helps me to take care of the house, meals & kids. We work as a team in everything we do!
- I write a lot of books and I give a 50% affiliate fee to anyone that sells them. This helps a lot.
Here is how I earn money:
- I started a blog. Yep. That’s what I did. You can jump right into starting a blog here (in 2 minutes). If you want more details, you can buy our book about starting a blog here.
- I write books that sell a lot. It varies. I self-published all of my books and that allows me to keep a bigger profit. I highly suggest everyone write a book. Find your very best post (highest page views) and turn it into a book. Here is a post that covers everything about writing a book. Here are our blogging books that you can sell (you get a % of the sales) and here are my books that you can sell for a 50% affiliate fee.
Here is a course about reaching your publishing dreams. (Paula took this course before she published her first book and LOVED it. We highly recommend it or this ebook to get you started!)
- I swaps guest posts for book shares. I will ask someone with more Facebook fans than me to promote my book (using their affiliate link) in exchange for guest posts on their page.
- For my blog, I often have posts that go viral. I write what I would want to read and then I share that post. Most of my posts do well because people want to read it, too. That helpful hint that you do at home? Share it. That wonderful parenting Ah-Ha moment? Share it.
- I take pictures that bring readers to my posts. This book is perfect to learn how to take pictures of food (but I use the techniques to for all of my photos)
- I write sponsored posts. This means that companies reach out to me and ask me to talk about their product. They send me the product and they pay me money to write about it. I used to make $50/post my first few months. Now I make $1800 or more for my posts.
- I have ads on my website.
- I am an affiliate of many companies, like Etsy. I make a lot on affiliate sales. I sell on Facebook and in my posts, by showing my favorite things. and I do a lot with Craftsy because they offer freebies for my readers.
- I pin a lot. I use Board Booster to pin. It is a game-changer for me! I spent about 4 hours one day setting Board Booster up & I never had to do it again. Well- once a day I go in & pin my new pin for the day.
- I send out e-mails. Every week. These e-mails have links to a lot of different books and products that my readers can buy. They have links to posts that they can read. I use Convert Kit and I love it.
If you combine the women of Bloggers Tell All, they are making millions of dollars in revenue each year, with around 25-30 million page views a month. It can be done. They are the proof.
Related: SIGN UP FOR OUR BLOG TIPS WITH OUR NEWSLETTER HERE.
- Try to include an affiliate link in every post (not sponsored posts).
- I use my Facebook page to promote those affiliate links, too.
- You can pin your affiliate links by doing a roundup of them & pinning from there. Example: 20 best birthday gifts for your one-year-old Link each one to an affiliate link & you can pin all of them. It will bring the Pinterest readers to you & they can go to the store from there.
- Paula and I share daily tips in our Facebook group – and if we aren’t sharing tips, someone else is! 🙂 It’s great! You can join here (it is closed, so only those in the group can see what you post)
- Here are my top 5 posts, if you want to see an example:
1- When Elf on the Shelf forgot to move
2- Why I still carry my kids
3- Potty Train in 3 days
4- Mommy, will you lay with me?
5- Stocking Stuffers
- You can start a blog here, really easily, if you haven’t started on already:
You can read our book about what we do to make our blogs successful:
- If you are trying to grow your blog and feeling stuck, Paula and I offer blog coaching. We will go over your site and social media with you and show you where you are doing great and what you should focus on to grow. It’s one of our favorite ways to help bloggers!
- You can see our income reports here, to get a monthly breakdown of how I am making money each month.Or you can see how I got my first million readers here:
- If you are wanting to get serious about your blog this year and connect with other bloggers join our facebook group. You can ask questions, network and share your goals!