Why am I not getting sponsored posts for my blog?
Do you ever find yourself asking that question? Sometimes it can feel like every one else is practically swimming in sponsored content while you can’t seem to get one post to save your life.
Sometimes it’s just luck, a certain blogger being in the right place at the right time, but most of the time I think it’s a little more than that. Sometimes we’ll never know why one blogger was more attractive to a particular brand than another, but there are several things that you can do to make your blog more attractive to brands and increase your chances of landing a sponsored post.
- Post more – This seems to come up a lot doesn’t it? Posting frequency is important for many aspects of blogging. Now sure, you don’t want to sacrifice quality for quantity, but if you haven’t posted anything to your site for two or more weeks then sponsors are not going to be as interested in your page. Sponsors want to see good interaction going on between you are your readers and know that you have a steady flow of reliable, honest content on your site. Posting frequently and building that relationship with your readers goes a long way in landing sponsorships (and growing your blog in general!)
- Own Your Domain – Go ahead and spend the money to buy your own domain name. This shows you mean business as a blogger and are intending to stick around for awhile. Did you know that most bloggers don’t last even a year? Owning your domain can set you apart from the thousands of writers who start blogging but decide it’s not for them and bail.
- Display your contact info prominently – Don’t make it difficult for brands to contact you. Have your email address readily accessible on your site so that you can be emailed by brands if they are interested in working with you. You may not want to agree to every email that comes your way, but opening up the conversation with brands is always a good thing!
- Not Applying – Another reason for missed sponsored post opportunity is simply not applying regularly for them. You can email sponsors directly with your media kit and pitch ideas or you can use some of the many sites that connect brands with bloggers. A couple sites, like Linqia will email you when they have an opportunity for you, but most do not. Other brands like Social Spark, Sverve and Business to Blogger all require that you visit their sites and apply for jobs yourself. It’s important to keep applying to opportunities that fit your niche. Don’t get discouraged, continue trying and improving your blog so that you will receive more opps!
- Engage with your readers – I’ve heard from several different prominent brands that they look for engagement with readers. Are people commenting on your posts? Do you interact with your fans on social media? Work on building relationships with your readers, as this is something brands watch for (and it makes your blog so much better too!).
- Make them awesome – When you do get sponsored posts go above and beyond to make them great, both for your reader and the sponsor! Make the post something thrilling for your reader to hear about which will mean more traffic for your sponsor and make them happy as well. Creating stellar content, both sponsored and non-sponsored will help you land even more opportunities, and eventually you’ll start turning some down!
Have you ever had trouble getting sponsored posts? What is your best tip for landing them?
If you are still struggling with them or your blog has plateaued, check out our Your best blog program! Let us help you make your blog the best it can be, by giving you tons of personalized advice and critiques to improve your site!