I think we can all agree that Pinterest is an addicting and fun way to pass time, but did you also know that Pinterest can be your BFF as a blogger?
- It brings attention to old posts – I’m always pleasantly surprised when I glance at my stats and notice a super-old post getting a ton of views. Oftentimes, I won’t have done any promoting for that particular post in months, but some one discovered it on Pinterest and suddenly it’s getting pinned and re-pinned with vigor! This can bring in extra page views, and refresh old content, all without you having to lift a finger.
- Reach a wider audience – Pinterest allows you to reach out farther than virtually any other social media platform out there. While it is rare for people to share a post on Facebook or retweet a link, people are very liberal with their pinning and re-pinning. This helps your content reach new people that you would otherwise never come in contact with.
- Searching – It is so easy to search for new pins on a certain topic, which is good new for you! In my experience, when searching for pins on a variety of different topics, I usually come across fellow blogger’s posts more often than I do pins from professional websites. If you do a google search for “toddler tantrums” the first few pages will be filled up with posts from the most famous and popular parenting websites and magazines, but if you make the same search on Pinterest, you are likely to find posts on the topic from myself and a lot of other great bloggers who are currently in the trenches of toddlerhood!
- It allows you to find your followers – I know that sounds creepy, but bear with me. If you type in pinterest.com/source/bloggingontheside.com you will see everything that has ever been pinned from this site. Delete our address and type in your own after the source/ and you can easily find everything from your site! This is a great tool to use when you want to see who is re-pinning and track what pins have been the most successful. You can even use it to find new pinners to follow and thank them for sharing your posts!
- Inspiration – Pinterest can be a great place to find inspiration for future posts. I’m not saying copy other people’s ideas, but there are definitely times that I see a quote that gets me pondering something, and before I know it a new post is born! There are other times that I’ll find a great post from a fellow blogger that inspires me to write on a similar topic, or take their idea in a fresh direction. Again, we don’t want to be copycats, but that does not mean you can’t be inspired by other people’s thoughts! If some one inspires you, you can even share a link to their post and/or leave them a comment when your post goes up to let them know that you enjoyed their post! I’ve made some fun blogging connections this way, especially since every one appreciates an extra link to their site from a blogging-friend.
- It’s fun! – Seriously, I don’t think there is any form of blog promotion that is more fun than Pinterest! Some other parts of blogging seem more like work than pleasure, but Pinterest is pure fun.
Is pinterest your blogging BFF yet? If not, you should definitely get involved and start pinning! Stop by and follow the Blogging on the Side Pinterest board and while your there you can follow me on Pinterest too!
Looking for more Pinterest tips? Check out this popular post for 5 Ways to Get Your Content Noticed on Pinterest!
If you are already a pinterest pro, feel free to drop by and join in the weekend Pin-it party! It’s a unique kind of linky party and a great way to get some new traffic from your pins!
What is your favorite thing about pinterest? Do you use your pinterest account to promote your blog?